Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Involvement In This Is Marginal

Again it took me all day to do nothing
8 hours of unplanned preparation
to lead me to this moment
lying on the ground prostrate to the world
which sweats and panics around me

I begin to wish for a change
because anything more than a wish would frighten me
and anything less than change would bore me
so I lie bored and brave

I wish for a world where rules are written in couplets
and are mandatory for only those who wrote them
and even then they mean nothing

I remember a girl who’s voice was a soft as swan’s down
and promised to go tobogganing with me this winter
and promised to try my vegan eggnog

I wish for a world where court rooms are held in contempt
and kindness didn’t confuse me more than spite
and spite was not an ersatz emotion for confusion

I remember staring up at the moon flecked with age spots
and stars which were thousands of years old
and finding perspective, but not knowing to what

I wish for a world where elderly ideas pass on in their sleep
and new ideals are not as quiet as baby’s breath
and don’t fall asleep so quickly

I hear the suburban fauna of domesticated cats and dogs
and exhausted lives whir past me
and all I can smell is the tall grass

No comments:

Post a Comment